Heat treated glass finds extensive applications as safety and security glass in residential and commercial construction. Heat strengthening and tempering processes increases the mechanical strength of glass, making it safe for use in doors, partitions and balconies. The heat treatment process induce surface compression and renders the glass up to 4-5 times stronger than regular annealed glass. This helps prevent injuries from accidental breakage. Additionally, heat treated glass offer sound insulation properties and energy efficiency by regulating solar heat gain and transmission which further boost their demand in modern infrastructure development. The global Heat Treated Glass Market is estimated to be valued at US$ 474.5Mn in 2023 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 3.2% over the forecast period 2023 to 2030, as highlighted in a new report published by Coherent Market Insights.
Market key trends
Surging Demand from Construction Industry
One of the key driver propelling the growth of global heat treated glass market is increasing demand from the construction industry. Heat strengthened and tempered glasses find widespread applications as safety and security glasses for doors, windows, facades and partitions in residential as well as commercial spaces. Their mechanical strength helps prevent injuries from accidental breakage compared to regular annealed glass. Additionally, heat treated glasses offers energy efficiency by regulating heat gain through windows and doors. This helps reduce energy consumption from lighting and cooling in infrastructure. Growing government emphasis on green buildings and rising construction of commercial spaces such as malls, hospitals and offices is expected to steer the demand for heat treated glass in construction applications over the forecast period.
- Strength: Heat treated glass has enhanced mechanical, thermal and chemical properties compared to regular glass. It can withstand high levels of heat, pressure and impact.
- Weakness: Heat treated glass requires complex manufacturing processes which involve heating and controlled cooling of glass. This makes the production process capital intensive and lengthy.
- Opportunity: Growing construction industry worldwide especially in Asia Pacific region is driving the demand for heat treated glass in architectural and industrial applications. Heat treated glass is gaining acceptance for specialized applications like oven windows and displays.
- Threats: Fluctuating raw material prices especially for silica sand can increase the production costs. Strong competition from alternative materials like polymers and ceramics are threatening the market share of heat treated glass.
The global heat treated glass market is expected to witness high growth over the forecast period of 2023 to 2030. The growth is credited to its increasing adoption in various end-use industries like automotive, building & construction and consumer electronics.
Regional analysis: Asia Pacific region dominates the global heat treated glass market with over 40% market share in 2024. Countries like China, India and Japan are major contributors to the regional market growth. Presence of robust construction, automotive and electronics industries in Asia Pacific region drives the demand for heat treated glass.
Key players: Key players operating in the heat treated glass market are Cincinnati Gasket & Industrial Glass Products and Solutions, Asahi Glass Co.,Ltd., Corning Incorporated, SCHOTT North America, Inc., SCHOTT AG, CoorsTek, Inc., Vesuvius PLC, Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd., CeramTec and others. Leading players are investing in R&D to develop advanced heat treated glass formulations for niche applications in semiconductor manufacturing equipment and displays. Partnerships with OEMs is a key focus area for major companies to gain higher market shares.
1. Source: Coherent Market Insights, Public sources, Desk research
2. We have leveraged AI tools to mine information and compile it